Tag Archive for: Washougal

United Precision Corp (UPC) held its official Grand Opening Friday night at the Steigerwald Commerce Center in Washougal with dozens of elected officials, business leaders, educators and citizens in attendance.

General Manager Robert Hawrylo was one of several UPC leaders who greeted guests, providing them an overview of their work and the facility.

UPC manufactures high tech seals and vertical launching system components for defense clients, such as the Navy, and spacecraft products (parts, seals, bolts) for SpaceX, a company led by Elon Musk. Their clients include the following companies and government entities:

  • NASA
  • SpaceX
  • Boeing
  • Moog Aircraft Group
  • United Launch Alliance
  • United States Navy
  • United States Air Force
  • Aerojet Rocketdyne
  • Lockheed Martin
  • Teledyne Technologies

UPC manufactures specialized machine seals for the space industry, including port seals, omega seals, beam seals and pressure-assisted seals.

The construction of this site has been several years in the making. The site was chosen for its business friendly environment, its beauty and ability to expand. 

They will have 20 employees working onsite and plan to have 100 in about a year.

UPC seals on display.
Guests were provided tours of the facility.

Camas-Washougal, WA — Camas and Washougal history will be celebrated and shared at the second annual Parkersville Day, on Saturday, June 3, 2023, from 12:00 pm to 3:00 pm at Parker’s Landing Historical Park in Washougal, located at the Camas-Washougal Port Marina.

Parkersville Day harkens back to the olden days. In May of 1879, a Parkersville event advertised as a “Grand Excursion & Picnic at Catalpha Grove on the beautiful steamer City of Quincy” took place in Parkersville. The activities included swings run by horsepower, an aerial trapeze performance, fat men’s race, wheelbarrow races, croquet grounds, sack race, and greased pig race – all with prizes. There was a large dance floor with a fine brass band playing.

The Vancouver Independent reported on July 8, 1880, that “More than 1,000 people were present at Catalpha Grove at the celebration on Monday, and the festivities did not close until a very late hour.” 

Just like the event in 1879, the annual Parkersville Day offers brass bands, croquet and wheelbarrow races plus Corn Hole (bean bag toss) and Quoits (ring toss) – games played in the late 1800s. Scout Troop 562 will be running the event games with the help of volunteers from Lions, Rotary, Journey Church, and Jeff Carlson from the Parkersville National Historic Site Advisory Committee to the Port. Winners of all ages will receive their choice of historic candy prizes or an event souvenir sticker. Tootsies or Salt Water Taffy – both started in the 1800s – will be the candy choice for game winners. In 1896, Austrian immigrant Leo Hirshfield started the Tootsie candy in a small New York City shop. He wanted an economical chocolate candy that didn’t melt easily in the heat as an alternative to traditional chocolates. He named the candy his daughter’s nickname, Clara “Tootsie” Hirshfield.

When David Bradley’s shop flooded during a major storm in 1883, the salty Atlantic Ocean soaked his taffy. Mr. Bradley jokingly offered a customer “salt water taffy.” Joseph Fralinger popularized taffy in 1886 by boxing it and selling it as an Atlantic City souvenir. Fralinger’s first major competitor, Enoch James, refined the recipe, making it less sticky and easier to unwrap. James also cut the candy into bite-sized pieces and is credited with mechanizing the “pulling” process.

Parkersville Day introduces the community to the Chinook Indian Nation, Clark County Historical Museum, Two Rivers Heritage Museum, Parkersville National Historic Site Advisory Committee to the Port, Parkersville Heritage Foundation, Daughters of the Pioneers of Washington, Whiskey Flats Brass Band, WSU, Washougal High School Band, and an art contest organized by Washougal School District Art Specialist Teacher, Alice Yang, and sponsored by the Washougal Arts & Cultural Association (WACA). 

Alice Yang, Washougal Art Teacher at Cape Horn-Skye Elementary School and Canyon Creek Middle School was recognized with two Smart/Maher Teacher of the Year awards by VFW Post 4278 and VFW District 6 at an assembly on January 17, 2023. She is one of two teachers in Southwest Washington this year honored for her civic engagement and patriotism. She was recognized for being concerned about the younger generation and for making sure that they follow their dreams. Her students erupted in applause and were energized by seeing their teacher honored. Superintendent Mary Templeton is quoted as saying, “The sense of community that Alice Yang builds in her classroom is reflected in moments like this. Yang exemplifies Washougal School District’s mission to know, nurture, and challenge all students to rise.”

On June 3, 2023, start your family fun from 11 am-2 pm, celebrating National Trails Day at the Children’s Natural Play area in Washougal Waterfront Park. Then hop across the Best Western and Port Marina parking lots to Parkersville Day from 12 pm-3 pm to enjoy Chinookan history, music and dance, play free family-friendly games, eat ice cream, listen to music and story tellers that bring local history back to life, view Washougal schools art based on a Chinook theme of longhouses, dugout canoes, salmon, baskets, and camas bulbs, see local museum displays, take a WSU tour of the park trees, and meet park supporters.

For more event information, email [email protected] or follow them on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/ParkersLandingHistoricalPark

Parkersville Day

Washougal, WA — Twenty-four Washougal High School student athletes representing four sports advanced to state competitions this Spring. Golf, tennis, track and field, and equestrian athletes competed against teams in the Washington 2A division to wrap up the spring athletics season. Girls track placed 7th in state, with Washougal High School student Sydnee Boothby taking 1st place in the 800 meter and 2nd place in the 1600 and 3200 meter races.

Golf athletes Mason Acker, Brayden Kassel, Sky Linden, Mather Minnis, Keagan Payne and Katie Zillman competed in state tournaments on Tuesday, May 23 and Wednesday, May 24 in Liberty Lake, Washington.

Washougal High School tennis players Jaisa Wilson and Hadley Jones competed in state matches on Friday, May 26 and Saturday, May 27 at University of Washington. 

“We’ve been doubles partners since our sophomore year and we’ve been first doubles team since our junior year,” said Jaisa Wilson, 12th grade student at Washougal High School.

Equestrian athletes competed at Moses Lake on May 18-21. Kali Buchanan, Natalie Bratton, Braedyn Domeyer, Olivia Eldridge, Lillian Grindy, Aubrey Hettling, Karen Phelps, Carmen Rish, and Hermione Rivera showcased their skills as part of the state equestrian competitions. 

Track and field athletes Holden Bea, Iris Hancock, Tanner Hardley, Kaya Johnson, Tucker Kneipp, Jaden Leonard, Anna Lundberg, Jamie Maas, Kendra Pass, Gracie Perry, Danica Stinchfield, and Elle Thomas compete in events ranging from the high jump, long jump, triple jump, and pole vault to 200, 400, 800, 1600, and 3200 meter races. 

Athletic events are funded by the Washougal School Levy, which Washougal voters generously approved this spring. The EP&O levy supports great opportunities for students to explore their interests, develop their talent, and share their passion with our community for the next three years.

“We’re so proud of these Panther athletes for their hard work across this Spring season, culminating with the chance to compete one more time among the best in Washington,” said Athletic Director Brian Wilde. “Our teams have accomplished amazing things this school year. We’re excited to see what the 2023-24 school year brings for our student athletes, and we’re sure that the class of 2023 senior athletes will continue to make us proud as they move forward to their next steps following graduation.”


Washougal, WA — The Camas Athletics Boosters Club is busy preparing for this Saturday’s Black & Red Rendezvous event, which is a major fundraiser for local athletics programs.

Beginning this Saturday, May 20 at 5:30 pm the Westlie Ford dealership showroom will transform into a casino night with festivities presented by Wild Bill’s Casino. Ticket buyers (21 and older) will get to enjoy a night of blackjack, craps, roulette and Texas hold ‘em poker. 

“It will be a lot of fun,” said Amy Stoller, of the Camas Athletics Booster Club. “We hope to meet our financial goals for this event.”

Attendees may dress formal, casual or crazy creative, but it must be black and red. There will be bragging rights and prizes for the best dressed.  The event also includes a silent auction, as well as a live auction at 9 pm. 

Tickets cost $75 a person or $125 per couple. To purchase tickets, visit www.camasboosters.org

The Camas Athletics Boosters Club fills in funding gaps to support Camas athletics programs. Over a five year period the organization has raised $500,000, and those funds are dispersed to local teams through an official grant process. Examples of grants given include Camas High School scoreboards, girls wrestling uniforms, cheer uniforms, trainer’s cart for all sports, boys basketball travel gear, swim team travel gear, basketball and volleyball lockers, girls soccer warm ups, and much more. Grants are given to both Camas High School, as well as middle schools.

The board consists of 10-15 volunteer members and four officers. Money is raised through major fundraising events like the casino night, the annual golf tournament, concession sales, apparel sales at home football games, and general donations.

Camas-Washougal, WA – The development of Parker’s Landing Historical Park at the Port of Camas-Washougal has been and continues to be a collaborative, community effort which includes a history of special events and dedications. Currently it is the site of the annual Parkersville Day held on the first Saturday in June, from 12:00 pm to 3:00 pm celebrating local history.

The Parkersville Site in Washougal was placed on the National Register of Historic Places on August 11, 1976. Nearly 10 years later, a 25.4-ton rock was moved there for a Department of the Interior plaque to be mounted upon. The plaque was unveiled at the opening of Parker’s Landing Historical Park and Archaeological Site on June 1, 1986.

John Buchholz, and E. Snoey landscaped an arrowhead design planter framing the boulder plaque display. Jeff Buchholz, grandson of John, attended the park opening. “All I remember about the opening was standing next to Grandma Ester,” Jeff Buchholz recalls. “She told me how proud she was that Grandpa worked so hard on the landscaping of the park.  I didn’t notice that the planter was shaped like an arrowhead until she pointed it out to me.  At that time, I was only 10.”

Jeff Buchholz now serves on the Parkersville National Historic Site Advisory Committee to the Port (PAC) and the Parkersville Heritage Foundation (PHF). His grandfather served on the initial Parkersville Site Development Committee (PSDC).  The PSDC, now operating as PAC, is a permanent committee established under the authority of the Camas-Washougal Port Commission to protect and preserve the Parkersville National Historic Site and to design and continue to develop the 3.88-acre site known as the Parker’s Landing Historical Park.

Washington became a state on November 11, 1889, the only state named after a U.S. president. A Centennial Commission was established in 1982 by a state law act to organize, fund, and coordinate events, artwork, and publications. 

Big news for the park arrived on December 13, 1988, in the Camas-Washougal Post Record which read, “The Washington State Centennial Committee and the Washington Centennial Committee of Clark County have certified and approved four centennial projects to be constructed upon the historical site.”

Come see the new furniture options at One Stop Home Furnishings.
2140 SE 8th Ave , Camas, WA 98607
“HWY 14 / EXIT 14”

Soroptimist International Club of Camas-Washougal implemented the plans for Centennial Project #1, the Old Silo Base, on September 14, 1988. A bronze plaque with the State Centennial logo engraved on it was donated by the Soroptimists and mounted on a rock in the center of the Old Silo Base planter. The planter continues to host beautiful flowers and is managed by the local Soroptimists.

A groundbreaking ceremony was held for Centennial Project #2, the Rose Arbor, on November 11, 1989, and was completed in January 1990 by members of the PUD and Kiwanis. They were led by Michael O’Hearne. A new wooden sign for the historical park, visible from the highway, was erected in September 1998, made possible by Port and PHF shared funding.

The third centennial project was the marking of the VanVleet homestead structure. The Van Vleet Plaza, where the 100-year-old historic home once stood, was dedicated in 2002.

Long-term PAC Member and Secretary/Treasurer, David Parker, continues to advocate for the fourth centennial project, a view structure, which has not been completed. Over the years, the PAC has discussed adding a replica of the Parker’s Landing maritime light, a project once pursued by park founder, and former PAC member, Rosalee Macrae. 

Eight new historic interpretive panels inside a wood kiosk were dedicated in 1997 and in 1999, the Community Garden Club (CGC) planted a pink dogwood tree near the west side of the park. They placed a granite plaque in the grass nearby honoring decades of volunteer gardening in the park by members.

When the Chinook Plaza was dedicated in 2009, long-term president of the PAC, Bruce Fuerstenberg, engraved the stone Chinook Chiefs Tayi, and provided the transportation of it. His family company, Vancouver Granite Works, Inc. was owned by his parents before him, and now by his son. The company engraved all the bricks that are throughout Van Vleet Plaza and waterfall area.  The first bricks placed in the plaza tell local history with names of Chinook chiefs, Donation Land Claim and later Homestead owners and the year they arrived in the area.

In 2022 a new annual Parkersville Day was launched, to be held annually on the first Saturday in June. It will be held June 3, 2023 from 12 pm to 3 pm. This free, family friendly event celebrates local history, with a look back at the historic town of Parkersville in 1854, and the grand events there in 1878-1880. The event features a Chinook blessing, storytellers, historic displays, 1800s games and prizes, ice cream, a park-themed art contest, band music from the 1800s, and, in 2023, a new Parkersville Day song played by Washougal High School Band with band teacher, Dave Duarte, conducting. Mark your calendars now.


Washougal, WA — Washougal High School drama presents “Mean Girls the Musical” on May 12, 13, 19, and 20 at 7 pm and on May 13 and 20 at 2 pm. The nostalgic musical was written by Tina Fey and is an adaptation of the 2004 movie by the same name. Tickets are $10 per attendee and are available at the door. Students who qualify for HB1660 can come to the ASB office the week before the performance to get tickets. 

“This is a fun, wild ride through the world of classic movie high school,” said Kelly Gregersen, drama teacher at Washougal High School. 

The plot follows sixteen year old homeschooled student Cady Heron who moves to the United States from Africa and navigates difficult social dynamics at her new school. Claire Zakovics, 11th grade student at Washougal High School, plays the lead role of Cady Heron. 

The cast of 47 student actors have worked diligently since March to prepare the production for the stage. Twenty student members in the technical and musical crews support the production. 

“The most exciting part of being a part of the Mean Girls cast is realizing that everything is student made, from the pit playing the songs live to the set and posters being made by students. It shows how hard our community works and cares about each other,” said Daisha Paz-Mondoza, senior at Washougal High School. Paz-Mendoza plays the role of Janis Sarkisian, one of Heron’s first friends at the new high school.

On April 25, Washougal community passed two levies supporting student-centered programs for the next three years. Performing arts productions like “Mean Girls the Musical” are levy-funded. 

“Everyone’s really welcoming and nice,” Washougal High School student Shelby Rappe said of the Washougal High School drama department. “I’ve never felt like I didn’t belong.”

More information about “Mean Girls the Musical” at Washougal High School is available on the Washougal High School website.  

Camas, WAThe Camas-Washougal Fire Department will soon team up with American Medical Response (AMR) to offer a new program. Starting May 16, Camas and Washougal residents dialing 911 will have the option of using a new program, Nurse Navigation, which will provide options for quickly reaching the appropriate level of medical care for non-life-threatening emergencies when calling 911.

Those who do call 911 for urgent, life-threatening, or potentially life-threatening emergencies will not see a change in service. However, if a condition is determined not to be an urgent medical emergency, callers will be transferred to a Nurse Navigator to determine the next appropriate steps for coordinating care.

The Clark Regional Emergency Services Agency, or CRESA, handles all 911 calls in Clark County. Out of the 58,000 thousand 911 calls they receive each year, around 14,000 calls are considered non-emergent. Typically, calls like this could be handled by a person’s primary care provider for non-emergency medical advice, appointments and prescription refills.

The new Nurse Navigators program will feature Washington state licensed nurses with professional experience in emergency nursing and telephone triage. After determining the level of service needed, the nurses can connect callers with clinics in Clark County, arrange transportation to and from appointments and notify a clinic when a patient is arriving. Nurse Navigators can also connect callers directly to telehealth physicians who can provide care and prescribe medication if necessary. The service does not require the caller to have medical insurance to access this service.

In addition to Clark County, 10 states have integrated the Nurse Navigation program into 911 systems to alleviate strain on EMS and healthcare systems while ensuring that all calls reach the most appropriate level of care.

The fertile lands and proximity of Parker’s Landing for transporting milk and butter by steamboat to Portland, Oregon, made Parkersville and Washougal key locations for dairy farms. The dairy legacy at Parkersville and nearby is celebrated with ice cream at the annual Parkersville Day event held at Parker’s Landing Historical Park. Ice Cream Renaissance will be serving this year on Saturday, June 3, 2023, from 12 pm to 3 pm.

There were several well-known, historic locals who operated dairies.

SHEPHERD – According to the 1880 census, David Shepherd, a 57-year-old dairyman, was a naturalized citizen and married to Helen. Both Helen and David were born in Scotland, David around 1823. They lived and farmed on a donation land claim adjacent to the Ough land claim. David Shepherd and his sons also operated and maintained the earliest graves in the Pioneer Cemetery, now Section A at Washougal Memorial Cemetery.

GOOT – Albert Goot, Sr., born in Switzerland in 1857, milked 35 cows at his Goot Swiss Dairy in Washougal after his arrival around 1889. His dairy was located on part of the original Parker and Ough land claims. On his farm, he also raised potatoes, oats, and hay. A portion of his land is now Goot Park, 303 SE Zenith Street in Camas, near the Washougal River Waterway.

WEBBER – Washougal’s first mayor, Morris Webber, was a pioneer and dairy farmer. A few weeks after Washougal’s incorporation in 1908, Morris Webber and Albert Goot, Sr. opened the Columbia Condensed Milk Company. The company put in a deep well with a storage tank and gained the franchise rights to provide the town’s water. Water rates were 1.25/household/month. By 1910, Morris owned a 600-acre dairy farm on Lady Island.

YINGER – The Yinger Family, noted in the newspaper for their fifteen children, started the Steigerwald Dairy in 1913. They operated a dairy herd in the Steigerwald Lake floodplain, keeping cattle in a large barn located at the present-day Bi-Mart store.

Steigerwald Dairy barn

WRIGHT – David William (D.W.) Wright, a dairy farmer and son of pioneers Emily Durgan and Stephen Wright, Sr., came across the plains in a covered wagon, drawn by a team of oxen when he was three years old. He also served on the first Washougal City Council in 1908. Stephen Grover Wright, David’s nephew, and Nina May Wright Chevron’s brother, was also a dairyman living in Washougal.

CHEVRON – Nina and Lou C. Chevron moved into the VanVleet home at Parker’s Landing in 1931, and established Parker’s Landing Dairy, also called Chevron & Sons. Their dairy truck read, Grade A Milk, L. C. Chevron, Parker’s Landing Dairy. Nina May Wright, born on April 22, 1895, married Louis Charles Chevron on December 25, 1911. The dairy sold raw milk before pasteurization started. In 1942, Lou and Nina Chevron sold their prize-winning dairy herd due to wartime gas rationing. After the cows and equipment were sold, Nina and Lou renovated and moved into the “little green milk house,” adding a kitchen and bathroom to it. Their son, Vernon, and his family remained in the bigger house. Nina lived in Washougal until age 95.

Daily milking, separating the cream, and churning butter, initially done by hand was a lengthy process. Visit Two Rivers Museum, Washougal, to see the equipment used during hand milking.

In the 1940s, milking machines allowed farmers to milk multiple cows simultaneously and grow their herds. At one time, Clark County boasted about nearly 200 dairy farms. Only one remains. 

Learn more about local dairy history at Parkersville Day!

Follow: https://www.facebook.com/ParkersLandingHistoricalPark
Questions? Email [email protected]

Columbia Condensed Milk building

Camas-Washougal, WA — Historic “kit houses” built before 1935 throughout Camas and Washougal will be the topic of the next Camas-Washougal Historical Society (CWHS) presentation on Saturday, April 22 at 2 pm at the Washougal Community Center, 1661 C Street, Washougal.  The community is welcome!

Madeline Mesplay, lead researcher at the Two Rivers Historical Museum (TRHM), will present “Home Sweet Home,” and share her knowledge of local kit houses. 

“These buildings were pre-cut and ordered by mail for delivery to the customer to assemble,” she explained.  “I will also share brief information on some of the first owners of these residences and some pictures of some that were constructed in our area.”  

These buildings were also known as mill-cut, catalog, or ready-cut houses.

Mesplay has been a volunteer at the TRHM for five years. She graduated from New Mexico Highlands University in Art and Education, completed a Counseling Psychology degree from Lewis and Clark University and has lived in Vancouver since 1989. Since retiring she has focused on her interest in research and finds her work at the museum very rewarding.

“What better way to learn how to appreciate the character and charm of an old house and your community by getting to know its history,” she said.

Also at the presentation will be the introduction of the publication “Historic Downtown Washougal,” a walking map taking people past pre-1940s homes and buildings and featuring short introductions of the people who lived and worked there.  The project was made possible thanks to information from Mesplay’s extensive property research which fills five large binders. The map was created by Mesplay and museum volunteers Gretchen Hoyt and Rene Carroll.  It was designed by Lori Reed Creative and supported by City of Washougal lodging tax funds. Copies will soon be available at the museum, City of Washougal, Washougal library and the Camas-Washougal Chamber of Commerce.

The Two Rivers Heritage Museum, 1 Durgan Street in Washougal, is now open for general admission on Saturdays from 11am-3pm through the end of October. Prices are $5 for adults, $4 for seniors and just $2 for students.  Camas-Washougal Historical Society members can visit the museum for free.  

Join the CWHS to help support additional historic presentations and preservation of local history. Membership information will be available at the presentation.  For more information about the museum and volunteer and membership opportunities, visit www.2rhm.com and follow them on Facebook.

Madeline Mesplay, of Two Rivers Heritage Museum.

Camas-Washougal, WA – Join volunteers and service club members in a fun and rewarding annual park beautification at Parker’s Landing Historical Park (west of Westlie Ford, Washougal), at the Camas-Washougal Port Marina.  

The Annual Park Beautification Days take place this year on Tuesday, April 18 and Tuesday, May 16. It officially runs from 3 pm to 5 pm, however, anyone who needs to come before or afterwards is welcome. Enjoy the camaraderie and the “before” and “after” satisfaction of caring for this park gem – a national, state, and country registered historic site. And help prepare the park to look its best for the second annual Parkersville Day on Saturday, June 3 from 12 pm to 3 pm.

“We are asking volunteers to bring their own gardening tools, brooms, power washers, rags and water buckets,” said Susan Tripp, a Parkersville National Historic Site Advisory Committee Member. “The committee organizes and participates in these events. Bring your expertise in roses and other plant pruning and fertilization. The park depends on volunteers to clean out the winter stages and cut back the rapid spring growth and spouting weeds.”

Jeff Carlson, the newest member of the Parkersville National Historic Site Advisory Committee (PAC) to the Port, will contribute his expertise by power washing the aggregate Kiosk and Rose Arbor flooring and park benches, then sealing them. Last year, PAC Member Jeff Buchholz added a shelf to the volunteers’ garden shed, while others helped clear and clean it in preparation for summer watering.

The Lions Club weeded the rose arbor, brought rakes and brooms along with shears and muscle power. They pulled out bulb plants that had multiplied from one planter to covering part of the walking path. The Soroptimists replaced dead winter plants with new spring color in the Silo Planter and power washed its brick border. Other volunteers beautified planters, cleared out old vegetation, cut back overgrowth, and removed new weeds.

Since the park’s dedication on June 1, 1986, volunteers have been active partners in park preservation and beautification. With summers warming up over the last seven years, the historical park as an archeological site relies on volunteers, service clubs, and scouts to deep water the heritage trees, roses, and more in the main section of the park that is not irrigated.

“You’ll enjoy the outdoor camaraderie and the before and after feeling of accomplishment for just a couple of hours of handywork,” said Port Commissioner Cassi Marshall who has participated along with Port Executive Director, David Ripp. Commissioner Marshall is an active member of the PAC.

For more information about Parkersville Day, email [email protected] or follow them on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/ParkersLandingHistoricalPark

Parker's Landing