How to Maintain the Tracks on Your Construction Equipment

Construction

Maintaining the tracks on your construction equipment is essential for keeping the machine in working condition while reducing premature wear and tear that could cost your business time and money to repair or replace. To extend the lifespan of your equipment, you must take good care of the components that run it. To top it off, the machine may not perform to its full potential if you do not properly service the tracks—maintain the equipment correctly so that it can maneuver through the job site safely and efficiently.

Clear Away Dirt and Debris After Each Workday

At the end of each workday, you must take the time to wash away any dirt or debris that has accumulated on the machine’s tracks and undercarriage. A power washer is the best tool for this job because it can quickly flake and wash away dirt. Skipping this step and leaving the debris could cause premature wear on the tracks; plus, the extra weight will affect your gas mileage.

Routinely Inspect the Undercarriage

The undercarriage on your construction equipment also correlates with maintaining the tracks on the machine. Over time, oil could leak, sprockets and rollers wear out, and small or large tears can appear. If you’re not routinely inspecting the undercarriage, you could leave these issues to fester and cause bigger problems with the equipment. Cuts in the tracks could damage the cords in the undercarriage, which could become a costly problem if you do not take the precaution of checking for damages.

Construction

Adjust Track Tension as Needed

The soil you’re driving over could determine the tension on your tracks. Loose tracks can damage the undercarriage, but muddy conditions or softer dirt might call for looser tracks to ensure the effectiveness of the machine. Be aware of how tight the tracks are on the rollers because it will affect the performance of the equipment. You never want this component to accidentally slip off the machine because the tension wasn’t high enough.

Prevent Repairs by Adhering to Simple Driving Instructions

Not following the directions on how to drive the machine properly could lead to premature wear and tear, costing you extra money down the road. Take care of your equipment by avoiding steep inclines and declines, not driving over chemicals or salt, and not taking sharp turns. Do not drive over sharp objects, curbs, or abrasive materials like asphalt. Train your staff to not only maintain the tracks on the construction equipment but also to operate the machines in a safe way that could prevent maintenance issues.

Follow the steps given by the manufacturer to care for the equipment properly. Do not avoid regular maintenance, or you could damage the tracks and cause the company to spend additional money on replacements or repairs. Maintain the machines to keep them working efficiently and safely throughout the job site.

8 replies
  1. Charlotte Fleet
    Charlotte Fleet says:

It’s good to know that it is necessary the clean the undercarriage of your track machine every day. I think it would also be beneficial to hire a professional company to service and repair the machinery regularly. Doing so could ensure that your machinery stays in good condition for as long as possible.

2. Adam Golightly
    Adam Golightly says:

It was interesting to learn how equipment problems can be prevented by taking care of issues like oil leaks, tears, worn-out sprockets, and rollers that can happen in the undercarriage. With all of these things to look out for, I can see how a company would prefer to rent their equipment rather than buy it themselves. By renting equipment by a professional they can easily circumvent any problems while still being effective.

3. Mia Evans
    Mia Evans says:

I like that you talked about taking care of the equipment by following the directions on how to use them to prevent premature wear and tear. I can imagine how important that would be when you have a company offering commercial earthmoving services. The materials you will be owning would definitely be of high cost, so following the proper way to take care of them will save the owner from additional expenses due to repair or replacements.

4. Millie Hue
    Millie Hue says:

It’s interesting to know that any dirt and debris should be washed away from the machine the end of the workday. I can imagine how important this is, especially when you would be getting heavy equipment transport every now and then. This can make the job easier for the owner and their workers while preventing any damage.

5. Braden Bills
    Braden Bills says:

I need to get an area excavated so that I can get a pool installed. It makes sense that I would want to use well-maintained equipment for this. I’ll be sure to get equipment that has high quality tracks.

6. Tex Hooper
    Tex Hooper says:

I appreciate what you said about having maintenance checks done regularly. My wife and I want to remodel our house. We’ll have to hire someone with high-quality equipment.

7. Eli Richardson
    Eli Richardson says:

It’s helpful to know that we must provide the right maintenance to your construction equipment to prevent future repairs. Recently, I heard that my uncle is interested in buying heavy machinery for his new project, but he’d like to test the machines out by renting them first, so I think your insight will be beneficial for my uncle’s future operations. Thanks for the advice on making sure your equipment will work efficiently and safely.

8. Daisy James
    Daisy James says:

I like how you said to wash away dirt at the end of each day. My husband told me last night about how he needs to look into getting work zone equipment for his company sometime next month, so he wants to make sure he takes care of it properly since he wants to rent the equipment. I’ll pass this information along to him once he finds a company to rent from.

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!