Battle Ground, WA — Not only did the Camas Boys and Girls Track and Field teams sweep Saturday’s Tiger Invite, but they also may deserve endurance medals for lasting hours in the cold, wet, and windy conditions that are common in Spring Pacific Northwest meets.
Athletes wore double-layered warm-up suits, hats, and gloves, and repeatedly went to the restrooms to use the hand dryers to warm hands, dry out wet socks, and simply stay out of the elements.
The Papermaker boys scored 118 points, significantly outpacing rival, Union, who earned 75 points. The Papermaker girls scored 134.5 points — again far ahead of Union, who earned 97.
”It’s been different to stand out here in the cold, and not be moving,” said Papermaker High Jump Coach, Grayson Anderson (Camas class of 2013) who is new to the job. “The athletes have performed well.”
Papermaker Daniel Maton won the 800 event while Papermaker Jackson Lyne earned the individual title in the 1,600. The Camas boys also won all three relays — the 4×100, 4×400 and the DMR.
The Camas girls won several individual events: Ellie Postma — 800, Emma Jenkins — 1,600, Madison Child — 3,200, Lucy George — 100 hurdles, and Madison Peffers — High Jump. The girls also won the DMR.
”We have a lot of young talent,” said Camas Head Coach, Jon Eagle. “And, it’s so great to have three new, young coaches on the team.”
Trey Knight, of Ridgefield set two Tiger Invitational meet records in the shot put (63 feet, 3 inches) and discus (177-7).
More Boy’s Track victories:
- Ridgefield’s Kyle Radosevich (3,200)
- Ridgefield’s Bryan Tavera (triple jump)
- Prairie’s Caleb Sagert (110 hurdles)
- Evergreen’s Jeremy Harju (300 hurdles)
- Hockinson’s Bailey Jones (javelin)
- Skyview’s Ethan Gould (high jump)
Girl’s Track Victories:
- Evergreen’s Vanessa Brunkow (100)
- Union’s Logan Nelson (200)
- Union’s Brooklyn Jackson (400)
- Prairie’s Valerie Schmidt (300 hurdles)
- Prairie’s Abigail Brotherton (shot put)
- Mountain View’s Mykala Preston (discus)
- Columbia River’s Giovanna Rhoads (triple jump)
The Papermaker Track and Field athletes next compete this Thursday at Skyview, starting at 3:30.