So, earlier today, I picked up some freshly-picked organic Granny Smith apples along with some other great produce at the Shangri-La Farm stand in Fern Prairie. And, upon getting home, I sliced one, and munched on it, then decided to make an Apple Crumble.
This is a slightly revised recipe from RecipeTinEats. Since it was a trial, we cut everything in half for our version, and it turned out great!
It takes 12-15 minutes to prepare, then another 40 minutes to bake in the over. And, even though the photo doesn’t show it, we highly recommend eating it with vanilla ice cream. It makes it even that much better.
Granny Smith Apple Crumble Ingredients
- 2 lb / 1kg Granny Smith Apples( green apples), weight before peeling
- 1 tbsp white flour
- 1/2 cup / 110g white sugar
- 2 tbsp lemon juice (or water)
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 cup / 90g cup rolled oats / oatmeal (quick cooking is ok)
- 1 cup / 150g white flour
- 1 cup / 175 g brown sugar (loosely packed)
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon powder
- 1/2 cup / 125g unsalted butter, melted
- Pinch of salt
- Must have with vanilla ice cream
- Preheat oven to 350F/180C.
- Peel apples, then cut into 1.5cm/ 3/5” cubes (I opted to not peel my apples since they were just picked. It enhanced the flavor and texture).
- Place apple in a bowl. Sprinkle with flour, sugar and cinnamon, then pour over lemon juice. Toss, then spread out evenly I’m a 1.5 litre/1.5 quart baking dish.
- Place Topping ingredients in a bowl. Mix until clumps form, like wet sand. Spread over the apples, crumbling with fingers if required to get that crumbly topping.
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes or until golden brown. Remove, cover loosely with foil to keep warm and let stand for 10 minutes before serving (let’s the apple filling come together).
To learn more, visit https://www.recipetineats.com/