The Liberty Theatre Turns 91 — Brings on “Raiders of the Lost Ark”
Camas, WA — The historic Liberty Theatre turns 91 on June 14, and the operators are having a low-key celebration with a special showing of Steven Spielberg’s “Raiders of the Lost Ark.”
“This isn’t a benchmark year, so we’re not not having all the hoopla and swag bags like we did last year,” said the theatre’s operator, Rand Thornsley. “We’re having a 6 pm special showing of ‘Raiders of the Lost Ark,’ which is a community pick. We put out a poll and that was the top pick of our customers. Last year was very successful.”
For the record, “Wizard of Oz” placed second in the poll.
Thornsley’s group took over theatre operations in 2011 on St. Patrick’s Day, which is their operational anniversary, but the community is more in tune with the historic anniversary — and its opening in 1927.
This summer, the Liberty will present a Drones concert, as well as some “Beatles” programs. And, they have a few anniversary classics coming: such as “American Graffiti” to coincide with the downtown Camas Car Show in July; Alfred Hitchcock’s “Vertigo” celebrate its 6oth anniversary in July; and “Treasure of Sierra Madre,” which celebrates its 70th anniversary.
A few fun Liberty facts:
- It’s classic vintage, not a multiplex. “We don’t do things like Regal does. We show a lot of different movies at a lot of different times,” says Thornsley.
- Prices are more family friendly. General admission is $4.50 and $5.50 for adults. Tuesdays are $4.50.
- Concessions are at a price point that’s affordable.
- The big theatre seats 300. The little theatre has 29 seats.
- They make it all happen with a staff of five.
- Concessions — popcorn is simple, with no artificial ingredients. It’s quality popcorn, made with sea salt, and canola oil, plus butter if you want it.
To learn more, visit www.CamasLiberty.com
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!