Washougal School District and Unite! Washougal Community Coalition have announced the two winners of the Washougal Middle School Poster Contest Winners:
- Trinity Nicholson, 7thGrade, Canyon Creek Middle School
- Skye Miller, 7thGrade, Canyon Creek Middle School
The theme for the 2018 poster contest was “Everyday Heroes Unite!” and middle school students from Washougal were asked to create an original poster using this theme for the citywide contest.
Members of Unite! Washougal Community Coalition selected the two grand prize winners and the six Honorable Mentions at their April 2018 community meeting. The Honorable Mention recipients are:
- Mia Lockard, 6thGrade, Canyon Creek Middle School
- Claire Zakovics, 6thGrade, Jemtegaard Middle School
- Isabella Albaugh, 6thGrade, Jemtegaard Middle School
- Kaylee Browning, 6thGrade, Canyon Creek Middle School
- Emily Wade, 6thGrade, Jemtegaard Middle School
- Jada’lynn Iriarte, 6thGrade, Jemtegaard Middle School
“All of the entries depicted the theme ‘Everyday Heroes Unite!’ very well. It is clear that our youth realize that heroes do not need capes or super human powers to make a difference. Our youth understand that ordinary people, including themselves, can show acts of kindness towards others,” noted Megan Kanzler, Youth Engagement Coordinator for Unite! Washougal and the Washougal School District.
Trinity Nicholson’s submission will be used as the new logo for the middle school and high school prevention club – HEROES Unite! All of the artwork submitted in the contest will be distributed to local schools, our public library, government offices and other community locations.
“We look forward to next year’s poster contest and encourage all who entered this year to participate again next year” offered Kanzler. She added an invitation to all Washougal citizens, “Let us all do our part in being everyday heroes to help those around us.”
by Megan Kanzler