Roundabout

CAMAS, WA – At their last meeting, Camas City Council awarded a $5,269,500 contract to Clark and Sons Excavating of Battle Ground, Wash., for the construction of a roundabout at the intersection of Northeast Lake Road and Northeast Everett Street (State Route 500). The low bid submitted by Clark and Sons Excavating came in approximately $435,000 under the estimated total.

“We are very pleased to have Clark and Sons Excavating working on this important project and thank all the contractors who took the time to submit bids,” said Jim Hodges, City of Camas Project Manager. “We would also like to thank everyone who attended community forums, completed project surveys and provided such valuable feedback.”

With the contract now in place, construction was anticipated to begin in late March or early April 2020 as planned, but that is likely delayed due to Washington Governor Jay Inslee’s ‘Stay Home, Stay Healthy’ order. It affects the construction sector. The roundabout is expected to be functional by early September 2020. At the start of construction, several trees will be removed, as discussed extensively with the public during the planning phase.

The public is encouraged to check the dedicated webpage, www.cityofcamas.us/lakeroadconstruction, over the duration of the project for up-to-date traffic impacts and schedule changes, including those related to any relevant COVID-19 advisories.

Green
www.VixonCabinets.com

The construction contract represents about 70% of the total project cost. Making up the other roughly 30% of the total cost is approximately $1,200,000 for design and permitting during the preconstruction phase, which wrapped up last month, $758,000 for construction consultant support and an estimated $250,000 for
utility relocations and miscellaneous costs.

Available funding for this project includes approximately $2,830,000 in grant funds from the Transportation Improvement Board (TIB), $4,700,000 in low-interest loans from the Public Works Trust Fund and water utility funds of $600,000. The TIB grant amount, which was originally awarded to the City at $3,300,000, was slightly reduced as a result of the low bids submitted by the contractors and will vary based on actual construction costs.

The city has confirmed that all funding from state agencies is still in place and ready for use. Additionally, city staff are closely monitoring the current public health situation and are following the guidance of lead agencies to ensure the safety and well-being of all staff, contractors and residents.

0 replies

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *