Immerse yourself in the creative world of cycling at the 14th Annual Filmed by Bike, a film festival featuring the world’s best bike movies May 6-8 at the Hollywood Theatre in Portland, Oregon. The festival will host a diverse array of movies, a lively street party, filmmaker Q+As, a Festival Lounge with craft beer and fine coffee, VIP screenings and a brewery tour with the filmmakers.
Fifty-nine short films will show for three days, with five unique programs. The work of 55 filmmakers representing 19 countries will be showcased, including Slovenia, India, Russia, Switzerland, and Italy.
The opening night features a New Belgium Street Party from 5:00-9:30 p.m. The free event is all ages and features a beer garden, live entertainment, a video storytelling booth, a photo booth and a gigantic bike parking arena. The Street Party takes place behind Velo Cult Bike Shop and Tavern, 1969 NE 42nd Avenue.
The event benefits NW Documentary, a non-profit organization that helps people tell their stories through film.
The film festival showcases the world’s best bicycle movies with this huge film festival in Portland every year, then the curated movie collections travel the world. Filmed by Bike is inspiring a culture with cycling is woven seamlessly into everyday life.
2016 Filmed By Bike Highlights + Background
- Filmed by Bike was founded in 2003 by Ayleen Crotty.
- 59 films. 55 filmmakers. 19 countries.
- The festival features film genres including documentaries, animation, dramas and comedies from Czech Republic, Russia, Poland, Australia, Brazil, Denmark, Italy, India, Slovenia and, of course, Portland.
- Awards ceremony will honor top filmmakers with the Golden Helmet Award, presented by Travel Oregon, and the Independent Music Award, presented by Radio Room.
- The festival occurs each May in Portland, Oregon. The new Filmed by Bike Traveling Program is open for screenings in host cities. For more details, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Filmmaker Q&A sessions.
- Intermission Speed Raffle with over $3,000 in prizes presented by Solemates Socks.
- Brewery Bike Tour on Sunday, May 8 with visiting and local filmmakers.
Tickets + Information
- Showtimes and complete schedule are available online at FilmedByBike.org
- Cost: $11 per show; $55 for VIP Festival Pass that offers exclusive screenings and events, unlimited access to all screenings and a VIP-only screening, Filmmaker Brewery Bike tour and beer garden discounts.
- Screenings and events are open to all ages.
- Tickets are on sale now at FilmedByBike.org or at the Hollywood Theatre box office on opening night, space allowing.
- Contact Info: 971-221-7228
Filmed by Bike benefits NW Documentary, a non-profit organization that helps people tell their stories through film. Sponsors include: New Belgium Brewing, Amtrak, Travel Oregon, Brompton, Yakima, Portland Design Works, Showers Pass and Radio Room.