New art additions to the Downtown Camas “Plein Air & Art Event” for September 6th’s Camas First Friday will have people enthralled and dancing in the streets. As in prior years, plein air (open air) artists will set up their easels in Downtown Camas and paint downtown buildings or landscapes from 9 am to 4pm. Accomplished local artists and multiple live music venues will be featured throughout downtown, as well. New this year will be “dual artist” live paintings and free dance lessons with local dance instructor Daniel Martinez.
The finished plein air art pieces will be on display at the Camas Gallery, 408 NE 4th, from 5-8 pm that evening. The community will vote for its favorites and “People Choice Awards” will be given. These works of art will then be auctioned off at the Dinner in White on the Columbia, a benefit for the Washougal Library Building Fund, on Saturday, September 7that Marina Park at the Port of Camas Washougal.
Other art features, music, and activities that night are:
- Elida Field’s “Art, Women & Wine” artists will be showcased in participating merchant locations; Meet the artists, enjoy the art, and be entered to win prizes from the merchants. Participation lists can be found at the DCA table in Journey at 304 NE 4th Ave. Look for stores with the red balloons.
- Local dance instructor Daniel Martinez will be offering FREE dance lessons for the community sponsored by the Downtown Camas Association. Come learn dance steps that you might even use with the outdoor live music that night. Meet at Body Bliss Yoga Studio at 417 NE Birch at 6pm for the lessons. Everyone is invited. Daniel is known for his fun and engaging classes and the DCA is glad to partner to bring this art form to the event.
- Outdoor dining and live music with 4 bands sponsored by Nuestra Mesa from 5-9pm, 228 NE 4th.
- Camas Gallery will be hosting two “dual artist” live paintings starting at 4:30pm with two paintings each being done by popular local artists. Two will be painted by Anna Norris and Heidi Curley and another two being created by Liz Pike and Sarah Bang. Each artist starts on a painting and then every 15 minutes, switches places with their painting partner until they feel the painting is complete. This art activity is a crowd favorite.
- Art Show in Attic Gallery featuring Emmy Award winning artist David Allen Dunlopwho will also be plein air painting the mill during the day. There will also be the dynamic live classical music of the Lily Burton String Trio.
- Art Guessing Game in select locations–guess the artist of a picture of a famous piece of artwork and be entered to win.
- Open Mic Night at Journey Church, 6-8pm. Sing a song, play guitar or do a stand-up comedy routine. Each performer has 10 minutes to perform. This is a ‘family friendly’ event so youth are welcome to participate. Sign-ups start at 5:30pm.
- The Hidden Bronze Bird Tour will have a twist with each of the 14 bronze birds in Downtown Camas showing off something for the night. Find the birds and find out what they have and be entered to win a special prize basket.
- Kids’ art crafts, including The Paint Roller Mobile Paint Party where children can paint rocks; chalk art; and the sixth annual DCA First Friday Coloring Contest.
- Live music at multiple locations throughout downtown including Birch Street Uptown Lounge, Salud Wine Bar and A Beer at a Time.
- Shop, dine, & have artful fun in Downtown Camas
“This event truly celebrates the love of the arts and showcases the art focus our town is developing,” says Carrie Schulstad, director of the Downtown Camas Association (DCA). “We have such talented local artists of all kinds in our community—painters, potters, dancers, musicians, hair art stylists, tattoo artists, you name it! We are thrilled to be able to feature so much wonderful talent on this day and expose people of all ages to such diverse creativity. Join us for an incredibly artful experience!”
First Fridays are Art, Activities, Dining, and After Hours Shopping themed family friendly events coordinated by the DCA each month of the year to support downtown and bring the community together. For all the information, visit https://downtowncamas.com/event/plein-air-art-event and www.facebook.com/camasfirstfriday